Carmarthenshire Land Sailing Club COVID-19 Compliance Policy & Risk Assessment
June 4th 2021
The latest regulations in Wales come into effect on the 7th June 2021. The relevant changes that effect CLSC are :-
- All of Wales is at alert level 2
- Travel within the UK is permitted.
- Organised outdoor activities and outdoor are permitted for up to 50 people
- Extended households can be formed between 3 house holds
- Camping is permitted. All unites must have self-contained facilities.
For Welsh Assembly guidance please visit:- https://gov.wales/coronavirus
Club Rules Affecting Land Sailing In Wales
- Residents within the UK may travel to any Welsh beach for the purpose of land sailing that CLSC has permission to sail upon.
- For non organised sailing you may sail as an individual only or in a group of no more than 6 from no more than 6 households.
- For general beach use outside no more than 30 Club Members may sail on the Beach, at all times ensuring that the requirements of the Club Handbook and general beach risk assessments are adhered too;
- The CLSC 2021 published weekend meets are running, however no organised camping by the CLSC is currently not permitted by the Carmarthenshire County Council. Members wishing to camp overnight should make their own arrangements in the facilities open around the area.
- For the CLSC 2021 published weekend events no more than 50 Club Members may sail on the Beach, at all times ensuring that the requirements of the Club Handbook and the specific risk assessment for the event are adhered too;
- All social contact and distancing rules must be observed
The latest regulations in England come into effect on the 17th May 2021. The relevant changes that effect CLSC are :-
- Travel within the UK is permitted.
- Where sport is not formally organised, it can only take place within the rules on social contact above – in groups of up to 6 people, or 2 households.
- Organised outdoor sport for adults and children is permitted with any number of participants, where it is formally organised and follows COVID-secure guidance.
For English government guidance please visit https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus.
Club Rules Affecting Land Sailing In England
- Residents within the UK may travel to any English beach for the purpose of land sailing that CLSC has permission to sail upon.
- You may sail as an individual only or in a group of no more than 6 or from no more than 2 households.
- The CLSC have no organised events planed in England
Track & Trace
Both the administrations of Wales and England have introduced legislation for track and tracing of visitors etc. CLSC already fulfils the requirements of this track and trace via all members being required to complete the online daily sailing equipment check list for each visit. This data is then retained for 21 days.
For further guidance on the requirements of track and trace in Wales :- https://gov.wales/keeping-records-staff-customers-and-visitors-test-trace-protect
Health Safety & Welfare Statement
Carmarthenshire Land Sailing Club (CLSC) places the health, safety and welfare of its members and the general public above all other considerations. This document sets out how CLSC will manage any foreseeable risk associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Some actions arising from this document will limit the club’s normal activities. However, these actions are required in order that the club may safely function during the pandemic.
- The Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic has caused a global lockdown resulting in restrictions in movement from our homes, temporary closure of the area’s we used for our sport and social distance measures that has prevented large gatherings and how we interact with each other.
- As we navigate the reopening of land sailing it is clear that for now, we cannot go back to how it was and must follow government guide lines at all times.
- In this document we are specifically addressing the risk associated with the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) within our own social group and into the public domain.
- COVID-19 is spread in minute water droplets that are expelled from the body through sneezing, coughing, talking and breathing (droplet and aerosolized transmission). The virus can also be transferred to the hands and from there, to other surfaces, where it can survive for a period after transfer (surface transmission). The virus can be spread from person to person.
- The symptoms and diagnosis of Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been well publicised over the recent months, so everyone should have clear understanding of the main symptoms i.e. a new continuous cough, high temperature and a loss of small & taste. Although numerous other symptoms have been identified that potentially could be experienced.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be asymptomatic (no symptoms), mild or severe/critical, and whilst many people survive the infection, some may die from the virus, so this is a significant hazard that we have to protect against.
CLSC is the largest land sailing club in the UK and is based in Wales. However, it has a membership that is drawn from all of the UK. This document is specifically written ONLY for beaches in Wales. The reason for this is that legislative structure within the UK devolves all responsibility for the management of COVID-19 legislation to the Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) with the exception of boarder control.
Any member sailing on a Welsh beach must appreciate that they must comply to the guidance and rules as prescribed WAG and not those from the UK Parliament at Westminster
Who is at risk?
- Club member and their families
- Kindred club members and their families
- General Public
Those at specific risk.
Every person irrespective of age, sex and ethnic origin is at risk from COVID-19. However, it is known that some sections of the community have proven extremely vulnerable. Those clinically extremely vulnerable groups (who have received a letter from the Chief Medical Officer) are deemed to be at high risk.
These may include:
- Solid organ transplant recipients.
- People with specific cancers:
- People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy
- People with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy
- People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment.
- People having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
- People having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors.
- People who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs.
- People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- People with rare diseases that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), homozygous sickle cell).
- People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.
- Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.
- Other people have also been classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, based on clinical judgement an assessment of their needs. GPs and hospital clinicians have been provided with guidance to support these decisions.
- Those above 70 years of age.
We would therefore recommend any of the above people continue to shield for as long as they are advised by the government and do not attend our social events to maintain protection for themselves.
How we can prevent/reduce the spread of COVID-19?
- CLSC can have no effect on the severity of COVID-19. The only actions that the club can take are to reduce the likelihood of transmission.
- Eliminating the hazard in totality is the best way to prevent the spreading of COVID-19, but this is may not be possible until, for example, a suitable vaccine is developed on a global scale, so that we all are immune to it. Therefore, it is imperative that we consider other approaches and controls to help reduce the transmission of COVID-19.
- CLSC are adopting control measures in line with the recognized hierarchy of controls for any risk ie we will adopt control measures that benefit the group prior to the use of PPE to protect the individual.
Covid-19 Pandemic Policy
In order to protect the health of all within our own club and into the public domain the information below provides guidance and direct instruction during the Coronavirus outbreak. This policy must be read and adhered to. If you have any concerns regarding the information within this document or issues if attending a meet, please contact a member of the committee.
- In the first instance always following the rules and guidelines of the government, local authorities, landowners or their representatives in the area you wish to land sail. This may also include traveling to and from the venue.
- Always maintain and respect the advised social distance measures of our club members and families.
- If you are approached by another member of the club, one of their friend or family or an interested member of the public that are ignoring any government advise on social distance measures or club rule and believe they may be placing others at risk politely advise them to step back to an appropriate safe distance.
- Avoid contact with anyone who is displaying symptoms of Coronavirus. The main symptoms include a high temperature or a new and continuous cough.
- If you are displaying any symptoms of Covid-19, in line with latest NHS Guidance, you should stay at home. Do not travel, land sail or attend any of the club meets.
- Wash your hands during the day on a regular basis – with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitiser
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- If you need to cough or sneeze, your mouth and nose should be covered with a tissue. The tissue must be disposed of within an enclosed waste bin and your hands must be thoroughly washed immediately afterwards.
Changes to the Club Rules.
The following changes to the club rules are being implemented to minimize the risk of transmission of the COVID19 virus.
Changes to land sailing rules
- To prevent unnecessary handling of the locks, handles, pens, books and arm bands you will no longer be required to sign the logbook in the container. However, you must ensure you complete your online daily sailing equipment check list, display you 2020 helmet sticker and carry your 2020 membership card as proof.
- The use of the club’s equipment has been suspended until further notice unless authorised and controlled by a member of the committee, again to prevent unnecessary handling.
- Do not share or touch anybody else’s equipment, if you have to it must be cleaned and disinfected afterwards.
- Coaching and teaching must not be carried out if the social distance measures cannot observed. Teaching and coaching of novice pilots is not allowed.
- Flying in high winds above 30 knots is curtailed.
- Only sail in low winds if proficient or you have assistance from those in the same social bubble.
- Only receive and give assistance to those in your own social bubble except where a greater risk is perceived.
- Do not assist or allow others to assist you the assembly etc of craft.
Club Organised Camping Events
- All camping must be booked through the CLSC channels.
- An attendance record will be kept of all attendees not just club members.
- If you start displaying any symptoms of Covid-19, in line with latest NHS Guidance, during the camping event you must immediately leave for home and seek a test. Whilst you are not obliged to inform anyone, we would request that you inform a member of the committee who is displaying the symptoms. This could help other individuals to take appropriate action if they need to stop the spread.
- If you are contacted by the “NHS Track & Trace” service and requested to self isolate for 14 days due to a previous contact again you must immediately leave for home even if you do not show any symptoms.
- If camping at Pembrey’s National Parks campsite, ensure you following their Covid-19 guidelines and instructions.
- If camping in the event fields, ensure when you set up you do not encroach on other members areas.
- Do not entre other members camping facilities, such as tents, camper and caravans. The clubs’ communal tents are not to be used.
- The communal BBQ has been suspended until further notice.
- Do not share other members or family’s chairs, tables or implements for cooking, eating and drinking.
- The sharing of food outside the family group is discouraged.
- The provision of toilets on the meets is suspended as the sanitation before and after use cannot be guaranteed. It also attracts members of the public where again the sanitation cannot be controlled. We would recommend members to provide their own facilities rather than use public facilities.
- To prevent the handling of cash we ask that all fees are paid to club via bank transfer to the NatWest account number 30082935 sort code 56-00-42.
- This policy and risk assessment is not exhaustive and as such we ask you all take a common sense approach and protect yourself and others. Please confirm you have read and understood the contents by completing the online form. We will inform all our members as and when this policy changes.
Communication and Review.
Communication to all CLSC members and wider audience.
This document will be communicated to all club members by all of the following methods: –
- Sent directly to each club member via email.
- Posted onto the CLSC members only Facebook page.
- Posted onto the CLSC Facebook page.
- Posted on a bespoke club notice board at every CLSC meeting. It will be in colour and plasticised.
Due to the ever-evolving nature of WAG guidance and our understanding of the virus CLSC will not be posting this in printed format to club members.
Review of COVID-19 controls and associated rules etc.
CLSC appreciates that the regular updating and review of its risk assessment and control measures is required due to the ever-evolving nature of WAG guidance and our understanding of the virus.
CLSC will formally review the R/A and club rules in the following events:-
- On a monthly basic
- In the event of a significant change to guidance or legislation from WAG.
- In the event of a local lock down.
So as ensure that it remains relevant and correct to the information and guidance known at the time. The R/A will also be reviewed after every CLSC meeting so that the experiences from the meeting can be used to strengthen the R/A and club rules. All individuals including club members, friends and family are encouraged to provide feedback on the R/A and associated rules. The views of any other interested parties such as park staff, Carmarthenshire Council staff, national governing bodies (FISLEY, BKSA) and other similar organisations.( PKA, SWATK, WLYC etc).
Links to legislative references
The links shown below are used as reference documents for the construction of this document. They will also be monitored to ensure the continued accuracy and relevance of this document
Guidance from WAG: – https://gov.wales/coronavirus
UK Government: – https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Foreign Office: – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors
|Risk Assessment||Ref no.||CLSC-RA- 08|
|Activity||Parakart and land yacht sailing||Status||Approved|
|Location||Pembrey||Initial assess.||Daryl Kirk|
|Other||COVID19 Specific||Reviewed||June 4th 2021|
|Assessed by||Rob Thomas||Generic||Next review||July 3rd 2021|
|Role||Health & Safety Assessor.||Specific||x||Version no.||08|
|Severity of Infection Injury or||Likelihood||Risk Rating|
|No Further action Required|
|Action Plan Required and Implemented Before Proceeding.|
|Do Not Proceed|
|Activity||Transmission Method||Risk||Person at Risk||Existing Control Measures||Risk Rating||ACCEPT
(Y or N)
|Further control measures implemented from action plan – re-score||New Risk Rating||ACCEPT
(Y or N)
|Club Member||General Public||L x S = RR||L x S = RR|
|Arriving at site||Droplet & aerosolized.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||5||4||16||N||Only people from the same family or social bubble to travel in the same vehicle||1||4||4||Y|
|Craft assembly / disassembly||Droplet & aerosolized.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Pilot to assembly own craft with assistance from others only in the same social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Craft assembly / disassembly||Surface||Low risk||Yes||No||None||2||4||8||N||No sharing of equipment (tools)||0||4||0||Y|
|Mounting / Dismounting craft to trailer||Droplet & aerosolized.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Pilot to mount and dismount the craft from the trailer with assistance from others only in the same social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Signing in||Surface||Low risk||Yes||No||None||2||4||8||N||Do not sign in. Use the online equipment maintenance log as record of attendance and membership card as sailing permission.||0||4||0||Y|
|Changing into “wet weather clothing”||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||To change in vehicles and not in the container. Dry suits should not be worn unless no assistance is required with zips etc.||1||4||4||Y|
|Traversing to and from the carpark to beach.||Droplet & aerosolized.||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG||1||4||4||Y||Keep the social distance of 2 meters from the general public||1||4||4||Y|
|Traversing to and from the fly zone.||Droplet & aerosolized.||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG||1||4||4||Y||Walk beyond point “B” of the transition zone if it is heavily populated with other beach users to set up. We suggest that you walk up to point “A” the fly zone to the normal pit area to set up away from the main crowds.||1||4||4||Y|
|Use of pop up rain tents.||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||3||4||12||N||No entry into a tent that is not owned by a member of your social bubble||1||4||4||Y|
|Teaching novices||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||The teaching of novice members will not be allowed until further notice||0||4||0||Y|
|Use of club owned equipment||Surface||Low risk||Yes||No||Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||The use of the club’s equipment has been suspended until further notice unless authorised and controlled by a member of the committee, again to prevent unnecessary handling.
If the use of the club equipment is authorised it must be used exclusively by the social bubble that books it out. It is not to be passed to others when booked out.
Equipment to be disinfected prior to being stored away.
|Maintenance of equipment on the beach||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Maintenance of equipment only by those that own it or are in the same social bubble||1||4||4||Y|
|Refreshments||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Sanitizing.||3||4||12||N||Individuals should bring their own refreshments themselves. There should be no sharing of food, drinks or snacks etc.
Cool bags etc should only be for those within a social bubble.
|Smoking||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Sanitizing.||3||4||12||N||Individuals should bring their own cigarettes etc. There should be no sharing of cigarettes or rolling for others.||1||4||4||Y|
|Assembly and disassembly of mast & sails on land yachts||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Only individuals or those in the same social bubble to assist in assembly.||1||4||4||Y|
|Courses / racing||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||Y||No tight courses or racing is not currently allowed||0||4||0||Y|
|Courses conditions||Increased risk of incident.||Low risk||Yes||No||Review course by foot or a slow run to determine obstacles. Mark if required and avoid.||4||4||16||Y||We have been informed by the Carmarthenshire CC that on Cefn Sidan (Pembrey) WW2 mine defenses are now showing through the sand which could cause a hazard
Whilst these have been showing over the years please take special care until the severity is understood. Please mark obstacles if required and aviod
|Sailing in high winds||Increased risk of incident.||Low risk||Yes||No||Reduction in kite/sail size as wind increases. Size depends on pilot skill, experience and capabilities||2||4||8||N||Flying in winds > 30 knots (constant) is not allowed until further notice||0||4||0||Y|
|Low wind sailing in land yachts||Surface||Low risk||Yes||No||Sanitizing||2||4||8||N||Only a pilot or someone from the same social bubble can start the forward motion of a craft.||1||4||4||Y|
|Low wind sailing in kite buggies||Surface||Low risk||Yes||No||Sanitizing||2||4||8||N||Only a pilot or someone from the same social can start assist in launching the kite||1||4||4||Y|
|Toppled yacht||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Only individuals or those in the same social bubble to assist in righting the craft.||1||4||4||Y|
|Twisted / downed kite||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Only individuals or those in the same social bubble to assist correcting the kite.
Sand the kite down strip and re-assemble if required
|Packing kite away||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||If difficulties occur in packing kites away then sand down to assist or gain help from someone in the same social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|First aid (grazes & cuts)||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Individuals to undertake their own minor first aid.||1||4||4||Y|
|First aid (grazes & cuts)||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Use mitigation for lack of social distancing. Ie face masks for all, use of hand sanitiser, antibacterial wipes, disinfectants etc.||1||4||4||Y|
|Not used||Not used||Not used||Not used|
|Items detailed below are related to overnight stays at Pembrey Country Park as individuals or small groups.|
|Camping||Droplet, aerosolized, surface and fecal-oral||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Not currently allowed under WAG COVID19 regulations||N/A||Caravans, vans and motorhomes with self contained washing and toilet facilities are allowed||Y|
|Provision of communal Toilets||Droplet, aerosolized, surface and fecal-oral||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Not currently allowed under WAG COVID19 regulations||3||4||12||N||No toilets to be provided||0||4||0||Y|
|Hayfever||Droplet & aerosolized||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG||2||4||8||N||Club members / guests requested to take antihistamines or to use a face mask so as to reduce the risk of sneezing.||1||4||4||Y|
|Communal BBQ||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG . Hygiene practices. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||Communal BBQ cancelled unit further notice.||0||4||0||Y|
|Communal cooking||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||No communal cooking to occur outside of one social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Sharing of snacks & beverages||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||No communal sharing to occur outside of one social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Filling of water tanks & containers at stand point taps||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||Taps to be disinfected before and after use.||1||4||4||Y|
|Disposal of toilet waste into Elsan point||Droplet, aerosolized, surface and fecal-oral||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||Top of Elsan point to be disinfected prior to use. Hands to be washed / sanitised after completion of task.||1||4||4||Y|
|Refuse recycling /disposal||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||Yes||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||Hands to be washed / sanitised after completion of task.||1||4||4||Y|
|Entering other vans & vehicles||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||No entering into vans or vehicles that are outside of your social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Use of awnings||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||The use of awnings to be permitted for people in the same social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Hitching and sitting caravans||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||Only individuals or people in the same social bubble to undertake the siting of caravans||1||4||4||Y|
|Communal, coffees, teas, refreshments and snacks||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing||2||4||8||N||Not to occur with people outside of your social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Purchasing in of communal Take away foods||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||Not to occur with people outside of your social bubble.||1||4||4||Y|
|Paying for weekend camping fees etc||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||No cash transactions. All fees paid via bank transfer.||1||4||4||Y|
|Communal tents.||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||As it cannot be guaranteed that only people from one social bubble will use the club large dome tent or that a 2m distance can be maintained then the used of the dome tent is prohibited until further notice.||0||4||0||Y|
|Communal Shelter (use of)||Droplet, aerosolized & surface.||Low risk||Yes||No||Standard social distancing as recommended by WAG. Hand washing.||2||4||8||N||The use of the Communal Shelters is prohibited until firther notice.||0||4||0||Y|
|End of R/A||End of R/A||End of R/A||End of R/A|